A grand metropolis and one of the world’s greatest cities, London is an eclectic mix of many different cultures and powerful music, art and design scenes. Sometimes gritty, but with many pockets of true originality, quirkiness and English eccentricity – the city doesn’t tend to disappoint its many visitors. As well as being huge London fans we’re also very proud to call the city home so after many hours exploring the UK capital we have selected our favourite unique and trendy London hotels – in no particular order – that reflect the city’s taste for the original, the extraordinary and the impeccably designed…
Qbic Hotel London City – cool cuboids rule
Hot on the heels of the popular Amsterdam version is Qbic London – a unique hotel concept which turns a budget stay into a fun and funky London hotel experience. Here you get to sleep in a ‘Cubi’ – a cool cuboid with comes with a comfortable bed and a 32-inch flat screen TV. Rooms also feature a modern shower room, black out curtains and handy sound-proofing to ensure an undisturbed night’s sleep. Located in the trendy Shoreditch area of London you’ll also only a stone’s throw from heaps of cool bars, art galleries and vintage boutiques.
- Prices from £69 per night
- To check prices or availability for Qbic Hotel London City
CitizenM Hotel – fun, funky and full of colour
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable luxury to London. Funky, edgy with a very liberal use of colour in the decor – CitizenM is about as far from boring as you can get! Located in Southwark, all of the slightly futuristic rooms in this funky London hotel feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed and a fun MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device which allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics.
- Prices from £99 a night
- To check prices or availability for CitizenM London
The Hoxton Hotel – urban country lodge
The Hoxton Hotel epitomises the trendy urban cool of Hoxton itself but with surprisingly competitive prices. Innovatively designed with open fireplaces, classic leather furniture, exposed brickwork and the occasional faux moose head, the style at this quirky London hotel is often likened to a modern urban country lodge. The guest rooms – although compact – are equally as stylish and come complete with Frette linen, flatscreen TVs, rain power showers and some cool artistic details. Other extras include a free Pret a Manger Breakfast (delivered to your door), fresh milk and water in the fridge and Wi-fi. Also watch out for their extremely popular £1 a room sale.
- Prices from £59 a night – to get the best prices book at least 8 weeks in advance.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Hotel
Church Street Hotel – a slice of Havana heaven
The Church Street Hotel, located in a Zone 2 South London neighbourhood, prides itself on its welcoming atmosphere, colourful Cuban/Mexican inspired room designs, plenty of attention to detail and great value room rates. The new owners have transformed a run down bed and breakfast into unique London boutique hotel adorned with striking Mexican tiles, painted furniture and Spanish-American religious art and the result is something really quite special. Personal touches include a cigar box containing Green and Black’s chocolate chocolate, a complimentary jar of hot sauce and lovingly made organic breakfasts. A slice of Havana heaven in Camberwell!
- Prices from £55 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Church Street Hotel
The Andaz – sleek, unique and ultra stylish
Housed in a beautiful red brick Victorian building in Liverpool Street (which shares the same architect as the Houses of Parliament), the Andaz is a sleek, modern and fashionable hotel in London where design and personal customer service are the main focus. As you enter, staff welcome you at the door and check you in with an iPad while they offer you everything your travelled stomach desires – no wonder it’s so popular with celebrity guests (apparently Beyonce and Lil Kim are huge fans)! All the rooms at this hip London hotel are spacious and stylish and are decked out with minimalist bold colours, flat screen TVs, iPod docks and a deep eco-friendly bath. Wi-fi, local phone calls, a healthy organic mini bar and 24 hour access to the Andaz Health Club are all complimentary giving it a real celebrity haunt feel!
- Prices from £101 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz
The Pavilion Rock & Roll Hotel – flamboyant kitsch
The Pavilion Fashion Rock’n’Roll Hotel is a small, fun and quirky London hotel with a delightfully bold design. The brother and sister owners are extremely well connected with the fashion community and their offbeat, photogenic hotel is often used as a set for fashion, media and musical shoots. Each room in the centrally located hotel is individually themed and bursting with flamboyant kitsch and retro antiques. Choose from the seventies style “Honky Tonk Afro Room” to the Hollywood star inspired “Monochrome Marilyn.” Other rooms include “Metallica” “Enter the Dragon” and “Better Red Than Dead” – a place that has to be seen to be believed!
- Prices from £48 a night
- To book, check prices and availability for The Pavilion Hotel
Ace Hotel – cool basement style
Sitting right at home in the capital’s most creative area is London’s hippest new hotel the Ace. The ultra trendy chain originated in New York but it’s also a perfect match for the Shoreditch hipsters. The design at this trendy London hotel is playful, minimal and achingly cool with a range of influences from the British punk to the clean Modernism of the Bauhaus. Rooms feature vintage furniture, original artwork, a flat screen TV with Ace video on demand and Revo radios with Ace curated radio stations, plus a well stocked mini bar and complimentary Wi-Fi. Some rooms even have turntables and a selection of vinyl and acoustic guitars, perfect for all you budding musicians out there!
- Prices from £110 per night
- To check prices or availability for Ace Hotel London
Rough Luxe – designer shabby chic
Rough Luxe is definitely not your average London boutique hotel. The design of this unique London hotel is the brainchild of architect and interior designer Rabih Hage and the result is an eclectic combination of urban shabby chic and classic English luxury. Peeling walls, bare floorboards and unfinished surfaces are contrasted with top quality furniture and an impressive collection of modern art. There’s only nine rooms in total but each come with their own expensive bed linen, designer comforts and an unconventional design. Staying here would truly be an experience in itself!
- Double Rooms are prices from £120 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for Rough Luxe
Ampersand Hotel – playful chic boutique
This fairly new modern boutique London hotel housed in a historic building enjoys a prestigious location in South Kensington. It’s fabulously quirky chic decor and uniquely themed rooms have all been charmingly inspired by local landmarks (birds for the Natural History Museum; planets for the Science Museum, for example). The Ampersand is a luxurious independent hotel with a difference and its colourfully eclectic, French-style drawing room is truly stunning! Also expect to see a vintage-inspired Mediterranean restaurant/cocktail bar, a wine room, a 24-hour gym, and a meeting room equipped with a handy table-tennis table. A delightful place all round!
- Prices from £120 per night
- To check prices or availability for The Ampersand Hotel
Megaro Hotel – family friendly boutique
This centrally located, reasonably priced London boutique hotel enjoys a handy base right opposite the transport hub, King’s Cross St. Pancras train and the Eurostar station. On the outside of the Megaro Hotel you’ll be greeted with a colourful mural emblazoned across its Victorian exterior and on the inside expect a visual feast of contemporary boutique interiors such as spacious family friendly rooms and apartments decked out in a funky modern style. Rooms also feature rainforest showers, free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, and the apartments come with kitchens too. The onsite chic restaurant and vintage-style bar (which specialises in cocktails) is a bonus too!
- Prices from £100 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Megaro Hotel
Twenty Nevern Square Hotel – Exotic boutique
This immaculate unique boutique hotel flanks the tranquil gardens of Nevern Square in the fashionable Kensington/Earls Court area. With hints of Far Eastern exoticism and a modern-colonial style, the well-travelled owner of Twenty Nevern Square Hotel has ensured the the design and furnishings of this beautifully restored Victorian town house are about as far away as you can get from a sterile chain hotel. Expect sleek marble bathrooms, elaborately carved four-posters, rich red drapes and dark wicker furniture (as well as all the usual mod cons). Patios and a bright airy conservatory also make the most of its peaceful, green surroundings.
- Prices from £108 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability of Tweny Nevern Square Hotel.
The Bailey’s Hotel – English old-world charm
Housed in a beautifully ornate 1876 Victorian townhouse, this immaculately presented hotel successfully conjures up an atmosphere of a quintessentially English, old-world charm. With a sweeping staircase, intricate stonework and stained glass windows The Bailey’s Hotel prides itself on its chic but characterful design. Its location is suitably plush too and boasts a fashionable South Kensington address as well as easy access to Hyde Park, the Royal Albert Hall, and Kensington Palace. The onsite restaurant serves up fine Italian cuisine and the chic bar offers both cocktails and afternoon teas. Think a place like this won’t be family friendly? Think again! Kids receive free teddy bears and ice cream on arrival – a very cute touch!
- Prices from £120 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Bailey’s Hotel
The Hoxton Holborn Hotel – cool urban oasis
Hot on the heels of the popular Shoreditch original is the Hoxton Holborn – a hotel which still offers the signature uber-trendy industrial chic design but with a more central location. Space is always limited in the city centre, but the hotel makes very clever use of it and the rooms offer an ingenious design and thoughtful touches. Think flip-lid desks, mini-fridges, 42” Samsung TVs, free international calls and their much loved Breakfast Bag (consisting of fruit, yoghurt and juice) delivered to your door every morning. Also on site is a restaurant serving up Brooklyn-style food in an industrial-style conservatory, a bar serving all day espressos (and cocktails by night) and even a cheeky nail salon offering manicures and pedicures – all very London cool!
- Prices from £110 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for the Hoxton Holborn
Stylotel – funky, futuristic budget
A zillion light years away from a traditional London budget hotel, the Stylotel offers lower priced accommodation but with an ultra-modern, futuristic design. Occupying a classic Victorian townhouse in leafy Paddington, all the rooms and suites feature wow-inducing aluminium wall coverings, ceiling to floor mirrors and illuminated glass furniture. All have en suite bathrooms, flat-screen TVs and suites include kitchenettes which make them perfect for a longer stay. There’s even a unique mood-lit communal area which resembles an airport lounge where you can while a way an hour or two.
- Prices from £80 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Stylotel
The Zetter – romantic retro-modern
Located in the heart of London’s trendy creative neighbourhood Clerkenwell, this small contemporary boutique hotel caters to a design-loving crowd. Once a Victorian warehouse, now The Zetter houses 59 guest rooms individually designed in a romantic but bold retro-modern style. Other unique details include a vending machine on every floor (which ejects everything from champagne to disposable cameras) and complimentary spring water taken from the hotel’s very own 1,500ft bore hole – yes really! The Zetter has also been commended on its eco-friendly ethos and dedication to providing state of the art technology in every room.
- Prices from £108 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Zetter Hotel
K West Hotel and Spa – fashionable urban retreat
This ultra-cool celebrity haunt of a hotel is located in up and coming Shepherd’s Bush, not too far from the popular Westfield London shopping centre. The former BBC office turned luxurious 4-star hotel has a huge striking glass fronted exterior which you cannot miss! Thanks to its close proximity to nearby music, film and TV studios, many an A-list celebrity has also passed through its doors and partied in the K West Hotel lounge bar (which has quickly become famous for crowd drawing DJ nights). Inside expect chic contemporary interiors, spacious rooms with lots of mod cons, an onsite gym and a highly regarded restaurant. Although it’s the spa which makes this hotel really stand out – as well as all the usual facilities, it features a hydrotherapy pool and a rather special heat and ice treatment!
- Prices from £100 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The K West Spa and Hotel
The Hide Hotel – budget chic
This is a budget London hotel but one which actually makes an effort with the decor – it’s definitely one of the trendiest lower priced hotels in the English capital! Located in leafy Hendon (a North London suburb seven miles from Charing Cross), The Hide Hotel is a new and already very popular boutique hotel but without the high price tag! The modern, good sized rooms offer free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, minifridges (with free soft drinks) and upgraded rooms also feature iPod docks. Also unusually for London, the continental breakfast is included in the room rate and there’s also free parking where available, wow!
- Prices from £70 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hide Hotel.
More cool, unique and quirky hotels in London
- Hotel 41 – One of the most extraordinary and beautifully designed hotels in London from £150pn
- Number Sixteen Hotel – Gorgeous eclectic boutique hotel in a South Kensington from £110pn
- The Adria Boutique Hotel – Superb modern boutique hotel located in lovely South Kensington from £170pn
- Stylotel – Hip family friendly budget hotel in a central location from £50pn
- Rookery Hotel – Reasonably priced romantic period charm in trendy Clerkenwell from £105pn
- Fox Club – Trendy boutique hotel in prestigious Mayfair location from £130pn
- Regents Park Residence – Stylish family friendly apartments in central location from £87pn
- Hazlitt’s – Beautiful boutique hotel in Soho with a plethora of romantic period features from £130pn
- The Langham Hotel – One of the oldest grandest hotels in London, has the wow factor from £150pn
- Generator Hostel – Voted one of London’s best hostels, offers urban-chic interiors at affordable prices from £40pn
- MyHotel Bloomsbury – Relaxed boutique hotel with an Asian inspired design from £110pn
- The Sumner Hotel – This immaculate central boutique hotel was voted the best small hotel in London from £120pn
- High Road House – Scandinavian inspired modern boutique hotel from £110pn
- The Drayton Court Hotel – Trendy boutique hotel housed in a dramatic gothic building from £79pn
- Hotel Xanadu – Contemporary boutique hotel in leafy Ealing from £89pn
- Rest Up London – A funky hostel in central London from £16pn
- Safestay – Funky, stylish new hostel housed in an 18th century building from £18pn
- Chase Lodge Hotel, Hampton Wick – Quirky medieval themed hotel near Hampton Court £75pn
If you liked our Top 10 Cool and Unusual Hotels in London we also have the Best Budget Hotels in London, Cool Hotels in Amsterdam and Unusual Hotels in Paris.
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration