A grand metropolis and one of the world’s greatest cities, London is an eclectic mix of many different cultures and powerful music, art and design scenes. Sometimes gritty, but with many pockets of true originality, quirkiness and English eccentricity – the city doesn’t tend to disappoint its many visitors. We have chosen ten cool and unique London hotels (in no particular order) that reflect the city’s taste for the original, the extraordinary and the impeccably designed…
Qbic Hotel London City – cool cuboids rule
Hot on the heels of the popular Amsterdam version is Qbic London – a unique hotel concept which turns a budget hotel stay into a quirky, fun experience. Here you get to sleep in a ‘Cubi’ – a cool cuboid with comes with a comfortable bed and a 32-inch flat screen TV. Rooms also feature a modern shower room, black out curtains and handy sound-proofing to ensure an undisturbed night’s sleep. Located in the trendy Shoreditch area of London you’ll also only a stone’s throw from heaps of cool bars, art galleries and vintage boutiques.
- Prices from £69 per night
- To check prices or availability for Qbic Hotel London City
CitizenM Hotel – fun, funky and full of colour
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable luxury to London. Funky, edgy with a very liberal use of colour in the decor – this hotel is anything but boring. Located in Southwark, all of the slightly futuristic rooms feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed and a cool MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device which allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics.
- Prices from £99 a night
- To check prices or availability for CitizenM London
The Hoxton Hotel – urban country lodge
The Hoxton Hotel epitomises the trendy urban cool of Hoxton itself but with surprisingly competitive prices. Innovatively designed with open fireplaces, classic leather furniture, exposed brickwork and the occasional faux moose head, the style is often likened to a modern urban country lodge. The guest rooms – although compact – are equally as stylish and come complete with Frette linen, flatscreen TVs, rain power showers and some cool artistic details. Other extras include a free Pret a Manger Breakfast (delivered to your door), fresh milk and water in the fridge and Wi-fi. Also watch out for their extremely popular £1 a room sale.
- Prices from £59 a night – to get the best prices book at least 8 weeks in advance.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Hotel
Church Street Hotel – a slice of Havana heaven
Church Street Hotel, located in a Zone 2 South London neighbourhood, prides itself on its welcoming atmosphere, colourful Cuban/Mexican inspired room designs, attention to detail and good value room rates. The new owners have transformed a run down bed and breakfast into unique boutique hotel adorned with striking Mexican tiles, painted furniture and Spanish-American religious art. Personal touches include a cigar box containing Green and Black’s chocolate chocolate, a complimentary jar of hot sauce and home-made organic breakfasts. A slice of Havana heaven in Camberwell.
- Prices from £55 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Church Street Hotel
The Andaz – sleek, unique and ultra stylish
Housed in a red brick Victorian building in Liverpool Street, the Andaz is a sleek modern new hotel where design and faultless personal customer service are the priority. Here the receptionist greets you at the door and checks you in with a laptop and other services include free Wi-Fi, local phone calls and a healthy organic mini bar in every room. All the rooms are spacious and stylish and come with minimalist bold colours, flat screen TVs, iPod docks and a deep eco-friendly bath.
- Prices from £101 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz
The Pavilion Rock & Roll Hotel – flamboyant kitsch
The Pavilion Fashion Rock’n’Roll Hotel is a small quirky London hotel with a very bold design. The brother and sister owners are extremely well connected with the fashion community and their offbeat and photogenic hotel is often used as a set for fashion, media and musical shoots. Each room in the centrally located hotel is individually themed and bursting with flamboyant kitsch and retro antiques. Choose from the seventies style “Honky Tonk Afro Room” to the Hollywood star inspired “Monochrome Marilyn.” Other rooms include “Metallica” “Enter the Dragon” and “Better Red Than Dead”.
- Prices from £48 a night
- To book, check prices and availability for The Pavilion Hotel
Ace Hotel – cool basement style
Sitting right at home in the capital’s most creative area is London’s hippest new hotel the Ace. The ultra trendy chain originated in America but is a perfect match for all the Shoreditch hipsters. The design is playful, minimal and achingly cool with a range of influences from the British punk to the clean Modernism of the Bauhaus. Rooms feature vintage furniture, original artwork, a flat screen TV with Ace video on demand and Revo radios with Ace curated radio stations, plus a well stocked mini bar and complimentary Wi-Fi. Some rooms even have turntables and a selection of vinyl and acoustic guitars.
- Prices from £110 per night
- To check prices or availability for Ace Hotel London
Rough Luxe – designer shabby chic
Rough Luxe is definitely not your average boutique hotel. The design is the brainchild of architect and interior designer Rabih Hage and the result is a unique combination of urban shabby chic and classic English luxury. Peeling walls, bare floorboards and unfinished surfaces are contrasted with top quality furniture and an impressive collection of modern art. There’s only nine rooms in total but each come with their own expensive bed linen, designer comforts and an unconventional design. Staying here would be an experience in itself…
- Double Rooms are prices from £120 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for cool hotels London Rough Luxe
Megaro Boutique Hotel – chic and contemporary
Housed in a typical London town, this funky four star comes complete with contemporary decor and spacious rooms – quite a rarity in London. It’s located in the well-connected transport hub of vibrant Kings Cross which is only short journey away from London’s most famous attractions. Rooms are furnished with comtempoaray oak wood and most come with a sofa bed, making it a great choice for families. The bar is pretty classy too – part classic film set and part fancy bordello – with entirely original cocktails on offer.
- Prices from £90 per night
- To check prices or availability for Megaro Boutique Hotel
The Zetter – bold retro-modern
Located in the heart of London’s trendy creative neighbourhood Clerkenwell, this small contemporary boutique hotel caters to a design loving crowd. Once a Victorian warehouse, now The Zetter houses 59 guest rooms individually designed in a bold retro-modern style. Other unique details include a vending machine on every floor (which ejects everything from champagne to disposable cameras) and complimentary spring water taken from the hotel’s very own 1,500ft bore hole. The Zetter has also been commended on its eco-friendly ethos and dedication to providing state of the art technology in every room.
- Prices from £108 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Zetter Hotel
More cool, unique and quirky hotels in London
- Safestay – Funky, stylish new hostel housed in an 18th century building from £18pn
- Hotel 41 – One of the most extraordinary and beautifully designed hotels in London from £150pn
- Base2stay – Stylish studio accommodation in Kensington from £80pn
- The Hide Hotel – Very popular new budget boutique hotel from £80pn
- Number Sixteen Hotel – Gorgeous eclectic boutique hotel in a South Kensington from £110pn
- Twenty Nevern Square – Flamboyant Eastern inspired budget boutique in Earls Court from £70pn
- Stylotel – Hip budget hotel in a central location from £50pn
- The Hoxton Holborn - The cool Hoxton brand but in a central London location from £99pn
- Rookery Hotel – Reasonably priced romantic period charm in trendy Clerkenwell from £105pn
- Millennium Bailey’s Hotel – Classic English design with good value room rates from £88pn
- Fox Club – Trendy boutique hotel in prestigious Mayfair location from £130pn
- Regents Park Residence – Stylish apartments in central location from £87pn
- Hazlitt’s – Beautiful boutique hotel in Soho with a plethora of romantic period features from £130pn
- The Tommyfield – Boutique rooms situated above a popular Kennington gastropub from £100pn
- MyHotel Bloomsbury – Relaxed boutique hotel with an Asian inspired design from £110pn
- The Sumner Hotel – This immaculate central boutique hotel was voted the best small hotel in London from £120pn
- High Road House - Scandinavian inspired modern boutique hotel from £110pn
- The Drayton Court Hotel – Trendy boutique hotel housed in a dramatic gothic building from £79pn
- The Adria - Superb modern boutique hotel located in lovely South Kensington from £170pn
- Hotel Xanadu – Contemporary boutique hotel in leafy Ealing from £89pn
- Chase Lodge Hotel, Hampton Wick – Quirky medieval themed hotel near Hampton Court £75pn
We also have posts on where to find the Best Budget Hotels in London, Cool Hotels in Amsterdam, Unusual Hotels in Paris, and Cool Hotels in New York
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- 10 of the best budget hotels in London | Book holiday online
- Four of the Best Thai Restaurants in London | Stop and Visit
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration