A grand metropolis and one of the world’s greatest cities, London is an eclectic mix of many different cultures and powerful music, art and design scenes. Sometimes gritty, but with many pockets of true originality, quirkiness and English eccentricity – the city doesn’t tend to disappoint its many visitors. As well as being huge London fans we’re also very proud to call the city home so after many hours exploring the UK capital we have selected our favourite ten unique and trendy London hotels – in no particular order – that reflect the city’s taste for the original, the extraordinary and the impeccably designed…
Qbic Hotel London City – cool cuboids rule
Hot on the heels of the popular Amsterdam version is Qbic London – a unique hotel concept which turns a budget stay into a fun and funky London hotel experience. Here you get to sleep in a ‘Cubi’ – a cool cuboid with comes with a comfortable bed and a 32-inch flat screen TV. Rooms also feature a modern shower room, black out curtains and handy sound-proofing to ensure an undisturbed night’s sleep. Located in the trendy Shoreditch area of London you’ll also only a stone’s throw from heaps of cool bars, art galleries and vintage boutiques.
- Prices from £69 per night
- To check prices or availability for Qbic Hotel London City
CitizenM Hotel – fun, funky and full of colour
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable luxury to London. Funky, edgy with a very liberal use of colour in the decor – CitizenM is about as far from boring as you can get! Located in Southwark, all of the slightly futuristic rooms in this funky London hotel feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed and a fun MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device which allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics.
- Prices from £99 a night
- To check prices or availability for CitizenM London
The Hoxton Hotel – urban country lodge
The Hoxton Hotel epitomises the trendy urban cool of Hoxton itself but with surprisingly competitive prices. Innovatively designed with open fireplaces, classic leather furniture, exposed brickwork and the occasional faux moose head, the style at this quirky London hotel is often likened to a modern urban country lodge. The guest rooms – although compact – are equally as stylish and come complete with Frette linen, flatscreen TVs, rain power showers and some cool artistic details. Other extras include a free Pret a Manger Breakfast (delivered to your door), fresh milk and water in the fridge and Wi-fi. Also watch out for their extremely popular £1 a room sale.
- Prices from £59 a night – to get the best prices book at least 8 weeks in advance.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Hotel
Church Street Hotel – a slice of Havana heaven
The Church Street Hotel, located in a Zone 2 South London neighbourhood, prides itself on its welcoming atmosphere, colourful Cuban/Mexican inspired room designs, plenty of attention to detail and great value room rates. The new owners have transformed a run down bed and breakfast into unique London boutique hotel adorned with striking Mexican tiles, painted furniture and Spanish-American religious art and the result is something really quite special. Personal touches include a cigar box containing Green and Black’s chocolate chocolate, a complimentary jar of hot sauce and lovingly made organic breakfasts. A slice of Havana heaven in Camberwell!
- Prices from £55 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Church Street Hotel
The Andaz – sleek, unique and ultra stylish
Housed in a beautiful red brick Victorian building in Liverpool Street (which shares the same architect as the Houses of Parliament), the Andaz is a sleek, modern and fashionable hotel in London where design and personal customer service are the main focus. As you enter, staff welcome you at the door and check you in with an iPad while they offer you everything your travelled stomach desires – no wonder celebrity guests such as Beyonce and Lil Kim are apparently huge fans! All the rooms at this hip London hotel are spacious and stylish and are decked out with minimalist bold colours, flat screen TVs, iPod docks and a deep eco-friendly bath. Wi-fi, local phone calls, a healthy organic mini bar and 24 hour access to the Andaz Health Club are all complimentary giving it that celebrity haunt feel!
- Prices from £101 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz
The Pavilion Rock & Roll Hotel – flamboyant kitsch
The Pavilion Fashion Rock’n’Roll Hotel is a small, fun and quirky London hotel with a delightfully bold design. The brother and sister owners are extremely well connected with the fashion community and their offbeat, photogenic hotel is often used as a set for fashion, media and musical shoots. Each room in the centrally located hotel is individually themed and bursting with flamboyant kitsch and retro antiques. Choose from the seventies style “Honky Tonk Afro Room” to the Hollywood star inspired “Monochrome Marilyn.” Other rooms include “Metallica” “Enter the Dragon” and “Better Red Than Dead” – a place that has to be seen to be believed!
- Prices from £48 a night
- To book, check prices and availability for The Pavilion Hotel
Ace Hotel – cool basement style
Sitting right at home in the capital’s most creative area is London’s hippest new hotel the Ace. The ultra trendy chain originated in New York but it’s also a perfect match for the Shoreditch hipsters. The design at this trendy London hotel is playful, minimal and achingly cool with a range of influences from the British punk to the clean Modernism of the Bauhaus. Rooms feature vintage furniture, original artwork, a flat screen TV with Ace video on demand and Revo radios with Ace curated radio stations, plus a well stocked mini bar and complimentary Wi-Fi. Some rooms even have turntables and a selection of vinyl and acoustic guitars for all you budding musicians out there!
- Prices from £110 per night
- To check prices or availability for Ace Hotel London
Rough Luxe – designer shabby chic
Rough Luxe is definitely not your average London boutique hotel. The design of this unique London hotel is the brainchild of architect and interior designer Rabih Hage and the result is an eclectic combination of urban shabby chic and classic English luxury. Peeling walls, bare floorboards and unfinished surfaces are contrasted with top quality furniture and an impressive collection of modern art. There’s only nine rooms in total but each come with their own expensive bed linen, designer comforts and an unconventional design. Staying here would truly be an experience in itself!
- Double Rooms are prices from £120 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for Rough Luxe
Ampersand Hotel – playful chic boutique
This fairly new modern boutique London hotel housed in a historic building enjoys a prestigious location in South Kensington. It’s fabulously quirky chic decor and uniquely themed rooms have all been charmingly inspired by local landmarks (birds for the Natural History Museum; planets for the Science Museum, for example). The Ampersand is a luxurious independent hotel with a difference and its colourfully eclectic, French-style drawing room is truly stunning! Also expect to see a vintage-inspired Mediterranean restaurant/cocktail bar, a wine room, a 24-hour gym, and a meeting room equipped with a handy table-tennis table. A delightful place all round!
- Prices from £120 per night
- To check prices or availability for The Ampersand Hotel
The Zetter – bold retro-modern
Located in the heart of London’s trendy creative neighbourhood Clerkenwell, this small contemporary boutique hotel caters to a design-loving crowd. Once a Victorian warehouse, now The Zetter houses 59 guest rooms individually designed in a bold retro-modern style. Other unique details include a vending machine on every floor (which ejects everything from champagne to disposable cameras) and complimentary spring water taken from the hotel’s very own 1,500ft bore hole – yes really! The Zetter has also been commended on its eco-friendly ethos and dedication to providing state of the art technology in every room.
- Prices from £108 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Zetter Hotel
More cool, unique and quirky hotels in London
- Hotel 41 – One of the most extraordinary and beautifully designed hotels in London from £150pn
- The Hide Hotel – Very popular new budget boutique hotel from £80pn
- Number Sixteen Hotel – Gorgeous eclectic boutique hotel in a South Kensington from £110pn
- Twenty Nevern Square – Flamboyant Eastern inspired budget boutique in Earls Court from £70pn
- The Adria Boutique Hotel – Superb modern boutique hotel located in lovely South Kensington from £170pn
- Stylotel – Hip family friendly budget hotel in a central location from £50pn
- The Hoxton Holborn – The cool Hoxton brand but in a central London location from £99pn
- Rookery Hotel – Reasonably priced romantic period charm in trendy Clerkenwell from £105pn
- Millennium Bailey’s Hotel – Classic elegant English design with good value room rates from £88pn
- Fox Club – Trendy boutique hotel in prestigious Mayfair location from £130pn
- Regents Park Residence – Stylish family friendly apartments in central location from £87pn
- Hazlitt’s – Beautiful boutique hotel in Soho with a plethora of romantic period features from £130pn
- The Langham Hotel – One of the oldest grandest hotels in London, has the wow factor from £150pn
- Generator Hostel – Voted one of London’s best hostels, offers urban-chic interiors at affordable prices from £40pn
- MyHotel Bloomsbury – Relaxed boutique hotel with an Asian inspired design from £110pn
- The Sumner Hotel – This immaculate central boutique hotel was voted the best small hotel in London from £120pn
- High Road House – Scandinavian inspired modern boutique hotel from £110pn
- The Drayton Court Hotel – Trendy boutique hotel housed in a dramatic gothic building from £79pn
- Megaro Boutique Hotel – A modern, well presented family friendly boutique hotel in Kings Cross from £90pn
- K West Spa and Hotel – Chic and modern urban style hotel which is quite the celebrity magnet from £100pn
- Hotel Xanadu – Contemporary boutique hotel in leafy Ealing from £89pn
- Rest Up London – A funky hostel in central London from £16pn
- Safestay – Funky, stylish new hostel housed in an 18th century building from £18pn
- Chase Lodge Hotel, Hampton Wick – Quirky medieval themed hotel near Hampton Court £75pn
If you liked our Top 10 Cool and Unusual Hotels in London we also have the Best Budget Hotels in London, Cool Hotels in Amsterdam and Unusual Hotels in Paris.
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration