A grand metropolis and one of the world’s greatest cities, London is an eclectic mix of different cultures and powerful music, art and design scenes. Sometimes gritty but with many pockets of true originality and English eccentricity – the city doesn’t tend to disappoint its many visitors. We have chosen ten cool London hotels (in no particular order) that reflect the city’s taste for the original, the extraordinary and the impeccably designed…
1. Hotel 41
Aptly located on Buckingham Palace Road Hotel 41 frequently tops prestigious hotel critic lists. Often cited as having a ‘private member’s club’ feel, this luxurious five star hotel mixes traditional English opulence and elegant nostalgia with cutting edge technology, yet still manages to retain an intriguing edge. All 41 rooms are individually designed but all feature rich fabrics, marble bathrooms and the hotel’s signature monochrome and mahogany design. Services include a 24 hour honesty pantry, a personal butler and a cellar full of fine wine.
- Prices from £240 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel 41
2. The Soho Hotel
Part of the exclusive Firmdale chain this frequently praised hotel located in the city’s entertainment and creative district has quickly become a London institution. Immaculately designed by celebrated designer Kit Kemp in her signature contemporary English style, the hotel attracts A-list celebrities and the cream of London’s glitterati. Each individually designed spacious room features strong textiles, solid granite and oak bathrooms, flat screens TVs and DVD/CD players. Other nice touches include two state-of-the-art private ‘screening rooms,’ a gym, beauty treatment rooms and an honesty bar.
- Prices from £213 a night
- Check prices and availability for The Soho Hotel
3. The Hoxton Hotel
The Hoxton Hotel epitomises the trendy urban cool of Hoxton itself but with surprisingly competitive prices. Innovatively designed with open fireplaces, classic leather furniture, exposed brickwork and the occasional faux moose head, the style is often likened to a modern urban country lodge. The guest rooms – although compact – are equally as stylish and come complete with Frette linen, flatscreen TVs, rain power showers and some cool artistic details. Other extras include a free Pret a Manger Breakfast (delivered to your door), fresh milk and water in the fridge and Wi-fi. Also watch out for their extremely popular £1 a room sale.
- Prices from £59 a night – to get the best prices book at least 8 weeks in advance.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Hotel
4. Church Street Hotel
Church Street Hotel located in a Zone 2 South London neighbourhood, prides itself on its welcoming atmosphere, colourful Cuban/Mexican inspired room designs, attention to detail and good value room rates. The new owners have transformed a run down bed and breakfast into unique boutique hotel adorned with striking Mexican tiles, painted furniture and Spanish-American religious art. Personal touches include a cigar box containing Green and Black’s chocolate chocolate, a complimentary jar of hot sauce and home-made organic breakfasts. A slice of Havana heaven in Camberwell.
- Prices from £55 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Church Street Hotel
5. 40 Winks
With only two bedrooms 40 winks is likely to be one of the smallest boutique hotels you can find. In fact the hotel is actually the four storey townhouse home of acclaimed designer David Carter and its eclectic and meticulously designed rooms are the antithesis of a bland large hotel environment. Decadent and eccentrically English but with a fashionably shabby chic twist it’s no surprise the hotel is also one of London’s most successful celebrity and fashion shoot locations. 40 Winks also attracts a host of artists and A-lister’s and quirky events (such as a vintage afternoon tea party and glamorous pyjama parties) are a regular and popular occurrence.
- Prices for a Single Room is £90, Double Room £130 and events from £25
- For 40 Winks Bookings
Housed in a red brick Victorian building in Liverpool Street, the Andaz is a sleek modern new hotel where design and faultless personal customer service are the priority. When you arrive at the door the receptionist will greet you and check you in with a laptop and other services include free Wi-Fi, local phone calls and a healthy organic mini bar in every room. All the rooms are spacious and stylish and come with minimalist bold colours, flat screen TVs, iPod docks and a deep eco-friendly bath.
- Prices from £101 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz
7. Rough Luxe
Rough Luxe is definitely not your average boutique hotel. The design is the brainchild of architect and interior designer Rabih Hage and the result is a unique combination of urban shabby chic and classic English luxury. Peeling walls, bare floorboards and unfinished surfaces are contrasted with top quality furniture and an impressive collection of modern art. In some of the nine rooms you may have to share a bathroom, but all the rooms have expensive bed linen, designer comforts and an unconventional individual design. Staying here would be an experience in itself…
- Double Rooms are prices from £140 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for cool hotels London Rough Luxe
8. The Zetter
Located in the heart of London’s trendy creative neighbourhood Clerkenwell, this small contemporary boutique hotel caters to a design loving crowd. Once a Victorian warehouse, now The Zetter houses 59 guest rooms individually designed in a bold retro-modern style. Other unique details include a vending machine on every floor (which ejects everything from champagne to disposable cameras) and complimentary spring water taken from the hotel’s very own 1,500ft bore hole. The Zetter has also been commended on its eco-friendly ethos and dedication to providing state of the art technology in every room.
- Prices from £108 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for The Zetter Hotel
9. The Boundary
The Boundary Hotel is a new joint project between famous interior designer Sir Terence Conran and his wife Vicki. Opened in 2009 in trendy Shoreditch, the venture is already winning critical acclaim. The former Victorian warehouse is now home to 12 individually designed guest rooms and two contemporary restaurants. Each guest room pays homage to a different legendary designer or design movement ranging from Bauhaus to Josef Hoffmann. Conran’s signature style of simple clean lines with a quirky twist follow throughout the hotel and the designers have thought of every detail. Think heated floors, large flat screen TVs, handmade super King sized beds and extensive acoustic sound-proofing.
- Room rates start from £200 but special rates are offered at the weekend.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Boundary
10. The Pavilion Rock and Roll Hotel
The Pavilion Fashion Rock’n’Roll Hotel, located in Sussex Gardens is a small quirky hotel with an unconventional design. The brother and sister owners have strong links with the fashion community and their offbeat and photogenic hotel is popular with the fashion, media and musical set. Each room is themed and bursting with flamboyant kitsch and retro antiques, ranging from a 70s style ‘Honky Tonk Afro Room’ to the Hollywood star inspired “Monochrome Marilyn.” Other rooms include “Metallica” “Enter the Dragon” and “Better Red Than Dead”.
- Prices from £48 a night
- To book, check prices and availability for The Pavilion Hotel
More choice – other popular, unique and reasonably priced hotels in London
- Safestay – Funky, stylish new hostel housed in an 18th century building from £18pn
- Base2stay – Stylish studio accommodation in Kensington from £80 per night.
- The Hide Hotel – Very popular new budget boutique hotel from £80 per night.
- Number Sixteen Hotel – Gorgeous eclectic boutique hotel in a South Kensington from £110pn
- Twenty Nevern Square – Flamboyant Eastern inspired budget boutique in Earls Court from £70pn
- Rookery Hotel – Reasonably priced period charm in trendy Clerkenwell from £105 per night.
- Montagu Place Hotel - Modern boutique hotel in in well-to-do Marylebone from £130 per night.
- Millennium Bailey’s Hotel – Classic English design with good value room rates from £88pn.
- Fox Club – Trendy boutique hotel in prestigious Mayfair location from £130 a night.
- Regents Park Residence – Stylish apartments in central location from £87 per night.
- Luna & Simone Hotel – Good value budget hotel in a Pimlico location from £60 per night.
- Comfort Inn, Edgware Road – Budget accommodation in an accessible area from £36pn.
- Chase Lodge Hotel, Hampton Wick – Quirky medieval themed hotel near Hampton Court £75pn
We also have posts on where to find the Best Budget Hotels in London, Cool Hotels in Amsterdam, Unusual Hotels in Paris, and Cool Hotels in New York
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- 10 of the best budget hotels in London | Book holiday online
- Four of the Best Thai Restaurants in London | Stop and Visit
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration