One of the world’s most visited cities, Paris is famed for its romance, iconic architecture and centuries of artistic achievement. The French capital is often everything a visitor wants it to be and amid the bustle of everyday life you can still find typical Parisian stereotypes of handsome poets and elegant fashionistas. Paris is at the forefront of many leading artistic and design movements and many of the city’s beautiful hotels reflect this trend. Here is a collection of cool and unusual hotels in Paris that are not just for Valentine’s day…
Striking and elaborately designed, Le Bellechasse sits comfortably within the narrow streets of the trendy Saint-Germain district. Not out of place among all the art galleries and prestigious antique shops also located here, this boutique hotel offers a visual feast in gigantic portions. Le Bellechasse has been fully decorated by famous fashion designer Christian Lacroix in a typically Parisian decadent style (circa the 19th century). If you decide to stay at this hotel – expect the unusual. Oddities include giant wall butterflies, winged dandies and enormous playing cards but yet the hotel still manages to remain tasteful.
- Prices from €120 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Bellechasse
Murano Resort Paris
An extravagant avant-garde design hotel and self proclaimed ‘urban resort,’ the Murano Resort hotel is a stylish choice for those wishing to be near the famous cultural sites of Paris. This place effortlessly mixes luxury, modern technology and attention to detail. In each of the 52 rooms you will find everything from essential oil kits and mood lighting control panels to ‘pillow menus’ – and who needs keys when you have a fingerprint ID door access system to play with?
- Prices from €130 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Murano Resort
Hotel Du Petit Moulin
Once the oldest bakery in Paris, now the building has been fully refurbished to create a small boutique hotel adorned with a large lashing of Christian Lacroix flamboyance. The result is an intimate but very colourful modern boudoir style of accommodation that you certainly won’t forget in a hurry. Each room is uniquely designed and one even features scribbles and drawings taken from Lacroix’s very own sketchbook. Also perfectly located for fashion boutique shopping.
- Prices from €120 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Du Petit Moulin
One by the Five
Marketing itself as the ultimate romantic experience, One by the Five is the last word in dreamy opulence and cosy luxury – although with an eye watering price tag to match. The single-suite hotel successfully blends top-end contemporary design, advanced technology and attention to detail. Each room offers rich fabrics, handmade beds, playful lighting effects and music composed exclusively for the suite.
- Prices from €600 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for One by the Five
Definitely cooler than your average mid-range accommodation, Mama Shelter is quickly becoming one of the most popular hotels in Paris. Catering to a young, hip and open minded crowd this hotel would appeal to anyone who would appreciate the quirky Philippe Starck design. Expect elevators papered with trivia, superhero masks placed playfully in every room, walls of exposed concrete and iMac televisions in every room. Even if the decor isn’t quite to your taste, the great room rates and accessible location make this an excellent choice.
- Prices from €69 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mama Shelter
Hotel des Academies
Sitting aptly in a trendy part of Paris is this small romantic boutique hotel dedicated to the creative arts. Hotel des Academies promises to give you elegant decor and a warm welcome. All rooms were completely renovated by either artist Jérôme Mesnager or the sculptor Sophie de Watrigant and the result is a glamorous but homely atmosphere – you will even have the choice of a classic or Art Deco style. Unique artwork aside, other personal touches include a luxurious wellness area and a cinema room where you can watch films of artists.
- Prices from €120 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel des Academies
Located near the attractive Montmarte district is a design hotel which combines a retro decor with a bold futuristic influence. With an eclectic mix of faux fur, fluorescent perspex, bean bags and cubic forms ‘The Kube’ is a world away from many people’s idea of a typical Parisian hotel. Also try out the hotel’s two projection rooms and ‘Ice Kube’ – the capital’s very first ice bar and popular celebrity hangout.
- Prices from €115 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kube Hotel
The Five Hotel
The city’s Latin Quarter has been the hub of artistic and student life since the 1920s and located in the centre is this design hotel that won’t blow the budget. In keeping with its bohemian surroundings, the Five hotel is creatively decorated with bold colours, tiny twinkling lights and a liberal lashing of Chinese lacquer. To keep costs down, fixtures and furnishings are kept to a minimum but all rooms contain satellite LCD televisions and free Wi-Fi. Oh and you can even choose your own room scent.
- Prices from €78 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Five hotel
Color Design Hotel
The Color Design hotel is a new budget boutique hotel located in an accessible central area of Paris (close to the Opera de la Bastille and Notre Dame Cathedral). The hotel has a white minimalistic design interspersed with the odd splash of colour and each floor has its own individual colour theme. More comfortable and contemporary than luxurious, this hotel would suit anyone looking for easy access to great bars, restaurants and fashion stores for a price that won’t break the bank.
- Prices from €40 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Color Design Hotel
Hôtel Le A
Housed in a traditional Parisian town house and only a five minute walk from the Champs Elysees is this small but stylish boutique hotel. Modern with a bold monochrome signature stye throughout, all the 25 guest bedrooms contain the latest in-room technology such as adjustable lights and electronic blinds. The communal spaces and rooms were designed by French artist Fabrice Hybert, who also painted one unique piece of art for every guest room. Other nice touches include a library filled with art and design books and a relaxing lounge complete with open fireplace.
- Prices from €110 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le A
More choice – other popular, unique and reasonably priced hotels in Paris
- Pavillon Nation Hotel - Modern design budget hotel from €60pn
- De La Paix Hotel – Attractive vintage Parisian decor and great prices €75pn
- La Manufacture Hotel – Trendy budget boutique hotel close to Latin Quarter from €75pn
- Hotel Doisy Etoile – Popular small and attractive hotel from €85pn
- Lorette Opera Hotel - Budget boutique design hotel from €80pn
- Standard Design Hotel – Bold and funky budget boutique hotel from €70pn
- Taylor Hotel – Elegant and quirky budget boutique from €80pn
- Le 20 Prieure Hotel – Good value contemporary urban design hotel €90pn
- Hotel Palm Opera – Cute and trendy design boutique hotel from €90pn
- Hotel Atelier Montparnasse – Eclectic budget boutique hotel from €62pn