New York is easily one of the world’s most exciting cities and with its strong art and design scene, many hotels in the Big Apple are nothing short of spectacular. If you’re planning a trip and want to find a unique place to stay, here are our Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York. All the accommodation on our list puts an extra effort into making your stay far more interesting, whatever your budget…
CitizenM Hotel – funky, fun and full of colour
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable, cool luxury to New York. Funky, edgy with a very liberal use of colour in the decor – this NYC hotel is anything but boring. Located in the city central hub Times Square, all of the bright glossy rooms feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed and a cool MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device which allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics. Also make sure you have a cocktail or two on their impressive rooftop bar.
- Prices from $130 a night.
- To check prices or availability for CitizenM New York
Night Hotel – dark, glamorous and edgy
If you’ve had your fill of minimalism and prefer your hotels to be dramatic and glamorous then try Night – a gothic themed boutique hotel located in Times Square. The stylish noir-inspired monochrome design really sets this hotel apart and is perfectly located for visits to the fashionable theatre district. Each of the 72 sleek, chic and intimate rooms come complete with a plasma TV, an iPod stereo system and of course their signature knock-out decor.
- Prices from $120 a night.
- To check prices or availability for Night Hotel
The Gershwin Hotel – arty shabby chic
You don’t have to love pop art to stay at the trendy Gershwin Hotel but it might help. Each floor is decorated with prints from a different artist and two original Liechtensteins and a signed Warhol soup can adorns the colourful lobby. Dormitories where beds go for an extremely reasonable $40 a night are located on the lower floor and on most nights music, comedy and theatre performances are available in the Gershwin’s “Living Room” – a communal space which also doubles as a cool gig venue.
- Prices from $40 a night.
- To check prices or availability for Gershwin Hotel
YOTEL New York – futuristic Japanese style
You dine at YO! Sushi now you can stay at the hotel. Fun, funky and highly innovative just like the Japanese culture which inspired it, YOTEL is a great NYC accommodation choice for the young at heart. Located in lively Times Square, the hotel aims to offer a first-class hotel stay without the designer price tag – think space age minimalism and futuristic technology. Cabins feature motorised beds (which transform into sofas), a techno wall with flat screen TV, a work desk with iPod connectivity, free WiFi and local phone calls. Other fun features include an automated check-in and a self-service galley on each floor.
- Prices from $130 a night.
- To check prices or availability for YOTEL
The Jane – bellhops and stuffed monkeys
Staying at The Jane is an experience in itself – the vintage style budget hotel has a quirky, time-warpish feel which features rooms endearingly inspired by old fashioned train cabins. In 1912 the hotel sheltered survivors of the Titanic, in the 1920s it became a haven for sailors and then it was lovingly restored on its centennial in 2008. Each compact cabin/room comes with modern amenities like free Wi-Fi and iPod docks but there’s also an emphasis on conserving energy. The decor is also pretty unusual with authentic old-school bellhops, maids in black and white uniforms, carved moose heads and stuffed monkeys with fez hats! All of this probably makes it one of the most intriguing budget hotels in New York.
- Prices from $90 a night.
- To check prices and availability for The Jane
SoHo Loft – cool New York living
A reasonably priced unique bed and breakfast which gives you a chance to live just like a New Yorker. This gorgeous SoHo loft apartment is owned by two French artists who have transformed their living space into a living art gallery. The trendy apartment is bright, airy and adorned with beautiful paintings and offers a friendly, personal accommodation experience. The approachable couple owners will even take their time to give you the low down on the best local restaurants and sightseeing attractions.
- Prices from $100 a night.
- To check prices and availability for SoHo Loft
The Ace Hotel – urban basement style
This quirky boutique New York hotel caters to a young, creative and bohemian crowd. The Ace originated through clever collaborations with local designers, artists and independent businesses and the resulting style has often been likened to a cool friend’s town house basement. Rooms feature DJ turntables, guitars, Smeg mini-bars and scrawl-able chalkboard walls, ensuring a very fun stay. There’s a variety of rooms on offer starting from a budget bunk bed room to a large corner suite – if its stylish but reasonably priced you’re after the Ace hotel shouldn’t disappoint.
- Prices from $120 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Ace
The Pod – join the Pod culture revolution
Many hotels try and fail to fit the trendy but budget niche but the Pod – located in the heart of Midtown East neighbourhood – is most definitely the exception. Definitely one of the cool hotels New York can offer, The Pod is clean and modern with funky murals. You can choose from a private room with a shared bathroom or a more economical bunk bed room. This hotel is a good choice for someone who doesn’t fancy re-mortgaging their house for a trip to New York (or doesn’t fancy chancing a down-town Manhattan hostel). The in-the-know friendly staff will even help you with local tourist information including helping you source tickets to your favourite gigs.
- Prices from $89 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Pod
MAve – kitsch retro chic
Seventies inspired MAve will probably remind you more than a little of the film Boogie Nights. In this cool New York hotel there is an emphasis on fun, colour, perspex, funky art, leather sofas and zebra prints. Taking a dip in the colourfully illuminated pool is an experience in itself – here you can order drinks in a swim-up bar and be on full view by everyone in reception (courtesy of a large glass window). Whether you want to stay in a private room or in a dorm with bunk beds you’ll be ensured of getting comfy mattresses, iPod docks and cool interiors all for a price that won’t break the bank.
- Prices from $110 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The MAve
The Carlton Arms Hotel – for the really unusual
You know a city like New York will do an Art hotel very well and this place is no exception. An excellent choice for the creative minded traveller on a budget, this place has attracted a few celebrities in its time (Banksy has painted here) but remains completely unpretentious. The style is more edgy than designer and here each of the 54 rooms, hallways and bathrooms has been painted by an up-and-coming artist. The result is a fun, eclectic explosion of colour which is the antithesis of a bland chain hotel.
- Prices from $90 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Carlton Arms Hotel
More cool and unique hotels in New York
- Rivington Hotel – Housed in a 20 story glass tower, voted one of NYC’s sexiest hotels.
- The Mansfield – A classically beautiful and romantic hotel.
- The Library Hotel – A very unique stylish library themed hotel in a great location.
- Chelsea Star Hotel – An eclectic, funky budget hotel in a central location.
- Sohotel – Hip budget boutique hotel in a great location.
- Marrakech Hotel - Brings a taste of North Africa exoticism to Broadway.
- The Bowery Hotel – Old-school elegance in a colonial/art deco style.
- Hotel Americano - Chic modern minimalism in a Chelsea location.
- NYLO Hotel - Ultra trendy mid range hotel in Rhode Island.
- Sanctuary Hotel – Alluring boutique hotel a short stroll from Times Square.
- Conrad Hotel – Sophisticated luxury design hotel with a huge atrium lobby.
- Standard High Line – Swanky boutique Meatpacking district hotel offering fabulous views.
- Crosby Street Hotel – Kitsch-but-classy English elegance in SoHo.
- Paper Factory Hotel – An industrial-chic hotel in a former paper factory.
- The Marlton Hotel – A beautifully designed boutique hotel in Greenwich village.
- W New York – Style, sophistication and cool design in Times Square.
- Refinery Hotel – Stylish, bespoke rooms with an industrial flair.
Also check out our Cool Hotels in Los Angeles, Cool Hotels in San Francisco and Miami’s best Boutique Hotels
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- 10 hotel di tendenza a a New York City / LTDBOOKING.COM
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in London | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- uberVU - social comments
- Tweets that mention Ten cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration -- Topsy.com