New York is easily one of the world’s most exciting cities and with its strong art and design scene, many hotels in the Big Apple are nothing short of spectacular. If you’re planning a trip and want to find a unique place to stay, here are our Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in New York. All the accommodation on our list puts an extra effort into making your stay far more interesting, whatever your budget…
CitizenM Hotel – funky, fun and full of colour
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable, cool luxury to New York. Funky, edgy with a very liberal use of colour in the decor – this NYC hotel is anything but boring. Located in the city central hub Times Square, all of the bright glossy rooms feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed and a cool MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device which allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics. Also make sure you have a cocktail or two on their impressive rooftop bar.
- Prices from $130 a night.
- To check prices or availability for CitizenM New York
Night Hotel – dark, glamorous and edgy
If you’ve had your fill of minimalism and prefer your hotels to be dramatic and glamorous then try Night – a gothic themed boutique hotel located in Times Square. The stylish noir-inspired monochrome design really sets this hotel apart and is perfectly located for visits to the fashionable theatre district. Each of the 72 sleek, chic and intimate rooms come complete with a plasma TV, an iPod stereo system and of course their signature knock-out decor.
- Prices from $120 a night.
- To check prices or availability for Night Hotel
The Evelyn – budget boutique
Formally known as The Gershwin, the former shabby chic art hotel has had a complete revamp. The two star hotel still has a budget focus, the same funky bright red facade and a fabulous location in the heart of the ultra-trendy Flatiron District but with newly renovated rooms and a slightly more hipster style. Now you can expect more upscale interiors with a cool edge, original artwork and more mod cons. Standard rooms come with rainfall showers, the suites have whirlpool tubs but handily there is still the shared dormitory option for those on a tighter budget. A pretty fabulous all rounder!
- Prices from $80 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Evelyn
YOTEL New York – futuristic Japanese style
You dine at YO! Sushi now you can stay at the hotel. Fun, funky and highly innovative just like the Japanese culture which inspired it, YOTEL is a great NYC accommodation choice for the young at heart. Located in lively Times Square, the hotel aims to offer a first-class hotel stay without the designer price tag – think space age minimalism and futuristic technology. Cabins feature motorised beds (which transform into sofas), a techno wall with flat screen TV, a work desk with iPod connectivity, free WiFi and local phone calls. Other fun features include an automated check-in and a self-service galley on each floor.
- Prices from $130 a night.
- To check prices or availability for YOTEL
The Jane – bellhops and stuffed monkeys
Staying at The Jane is an experience in itself – the vintage style budget hotel has a quirky, time-warpish feel which features rooms endearingly inspired by old fashioned train cabins. In 1912 the hotel sheltered survivors of the Titanic, in the 1920s it became a haven for sailors and then it was lovingly restored on its centennial in 2008. Each compact cabin/room comes with modern amenities like free Wi-Fi and iPod docks but there’s also an emphasis on conserving energy. The decor is also pretty unusual with authentic old-school bellhops, maids in black and white uniforms, carved moose heads and stuffed monkeys with fez hats! All of this probably makes it one of the most intriguing budget hotels in New York.
- Prices from $90 a night.
- To check prices and availability for The Jane
The Hotel on Rivington – the sexiest hotel in NYC
Housed in a 20 story glass tower near SoHo this sleek, chic and achingly cool New York hotel was once voted NYC’s sexiest hotels – which given the competition is quite an accolade! The spacious minimalist rooms pride themselves mostly on their floor-to-ceiling windows which affords extraordinary views of the Manhatten skyline. Although the rest of the decor is pretty special too and offers Tempur-Pedic beds adorned with Frette linens, flat-screen televisions with on-demand movies and Bisazza-tiled bathrooms complete with deep Japanese-style soaking tubs. Also make sure you check out the hip taco and tequila bar on the ground floor. Definitely a place which leaves a lasting impression!
- Prices from $120 a night.
- To check prices and availability for Hotel on Rivington
The Ace Hotel – urban basement style
This quirky boutique New York hotel caters to a young, creative and bohemian crowd. The Ace originated through clever collaborations with local designers, artists and independent businesses and the resulting style has often been likened to a cool friend’s town house basement. Rooms feature DJ turntables, guitars, Smeg mini-bars and scrawl-able chalkboard walls, ensuring a very fun stay. There’s a variety of rooms on offer starting from a budget bunk bed room to a large corner suite – if its stylish but reasonably priced you’re after the Ace hotel shouldn’t disappoint.
- Prices from $120 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Ace
The Pod – join the Pod culture revolution
Many hotels try and fail to fit the trendy but budget niche but the Pod – located in the heart of Midtown East neighbourhood – is most definitely the exception. Definitely one of the cool hotels New York can offer, The Pod is clean and modern with funky murals. You can choose from a private room with a shared bathroom or a more economical bunk bed room. This hotel is a good choice for someone who doesn’t fancy re-mortgaging their house for a trip to New York (or doesn’t fancy chancing a down-town Manhattan hostel). The in-the-know friendly staff will even help you with local tourist information including helping you source tickets to your favourite gigs.
- Prices from $89 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The Pod
MAve – kitsch retro chic
Seventies inspired MAve will probably remind you more than a little of the film Boogie Nights. In this cool New York hotel there is an emphasis on fun, colour, perspex, funky art, leather sofas and zebra prints. Taking a dip in the colourfully illuminated pool is an experience in itself – here you can order drinks in a swim-up bar and be on full view by everyone in reception (courtesy of a large glass window). Whether you want to stay in a private room or in a dorm with bunk beds you’ll be ensured of getting comfy mattresses, iPod docks and cool interiors all for a price that won’t break the bank.
- Prices from $110 a night.
- To check prices or availability for The MAve
SoHo Loft – cool New York living
A reasonably priced unique bed and breakfast which gives you a chance to live just like a New Yorker. This gorgeous SoHo loft apartment is owned by two French artists who have transformed their living space into a living art gallery. The trendy apartment is bright, airy and adorned with beautiful paintings and offers a friendly, personal accommodation experience. The approachable couple owners will even take their time to give you the low down on the best local restaurants and sightseeing attractions.
- Prices from $100 a night.
- To check prices and availability for SoHo Loft
More cool and unique hotels in New York
- Gramercy Park Hotel – A striking art-filled 1920s-era hotel with the wow-factor.
- The Mansfield – A classically beautiful and romantic hotel.
- The Library Hotel – A very unique stylish library themed hotel in a great location.
- Riff Chelsea – An eclectic, funky budget hotel in a central location.
- Sohotel – Hip and popular budget boutique hotel in a great location.
- Marrakech Hotel – Brings a taste of North African exoticism to Broadway.
- The Bowery Hotel – Old-school elegance in a colonial/art deco style.
- Hotel Americano – Chic modern minimalism in a Chelsea location.
- NYLO Hotel – Ultra trendy mid range hotel in Rhode Island.
- Sanctuary Hotel – Alluring boutique hotel a short stroll from Times Square.
- Conrad Hotel – Sophisticated luxury design hotel with a huge atrium lobby.
- Standard High Line – Swanky boutique Meatpacking district hotel offering fabulous views.
- Crosby Street Hotel – Kitsch-but-classy English elegance in SoHo.
- Tribeca Grand Hotel – Swish family friendly boutique hotel.
- The Mercer – Very cool luxury celebrity haunt in SoHo.
- Paper Factory Hotel – An industrial-chic hotel in a former paper factory.
- The Carlton Arms Hotel – Eclectic, colourful and a little zany budget art hotel.
- The London Hotel – Sleek and sexy luxury suite accommodation with fabulous views.
- The Marlton Hotel – A beautifully designed boutique hotel in Greenwich village.
- W New York – Style, sophistication and cool design in Times Square.
- Hotel Giraffe – Art-inspired hotel family friendly boutique hotel.
- Refinery Hotel – Stylish, bespoke rooms with an industrial flair.
Also check out our Cool Hotels in Los Angeles, Cool Hotels in San Francisco and Miami’s best Boutique Hotels
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- 10 hotel di tendenza a a New York City / LTDBOOKING.COM
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- In pictures: Halloween around the World | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in London | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- uberVU - social comments
- Tweets that mention Ten cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration -- Topsy.com