Nightlife in New York is legendary. There are also endless museums, art galleries, restaurants and bars to choose from. The problem with visiting so many places that New York has to offer is that it might leave a big hole in your wallet on your flight home. Nobody wants that, no matter how much fun you try to have. We’ve all heard of happy hour and there are a few great places in the Big Apple that are just as fun as the trendier places but won’t cost you an arm and a leg…
1. The Kabin – This relaxed bar and lounge in East Village (on 2nd avenue) has some amazing discounted drink sessions. Try heading there Monday, Wednesday and Friday for happy hours and on Tuesday they offer a super long happy hour. Go there on this day and you’ll be surprised to see the cheap drinks flowing from 5pm to 10pm
2. Bull’s Head Tavern – This fun and friendly tavern is located on 3rd Avenue between 22nd and 23rd street. During the National Football League (NFL) season, it’s got the NFL ticket, meaning it has every game available for your viewing pleasure. It’s also got a wonderful happy hour that goes from Monday all the way through Sunday. The happy hour lasts from 1pm to 8pm, all draft beer only costs $3. You’re bound to be saving quite a few dollars while you enjoy a piece of New York City.
3. McKenna’s Pub – This is a great bar offering some good deals and tasty food. Located in the West side of the city (4th street, between 7th and 8th Avenue) come here for classic American food and beer at a good price. Well between certain hours of the day anyway! The happy hour carries on from 1pm and goes until 7pm all week.
4. Dempseys Bar – A fun and friendly Irish bar also offering some good times and good beer. Located in the trendy East Village you can hang out with mates and enjoy pool, darts and their signature Irish beer. And don’t forget about happy hour from 4pm – 7:45pm weekdays.
5. Coyote Ugly – The bar is famously especially great for the guys and is an New York institution. For a bargain evening out here leave work early to enjoy the 2-for-1 drinks 4-7pm Monday-Friday. They also offer a late night happy hour on Sunday-Wednesday with 2-for-1 drinks from 2-4am. Located on 1st Avenue between 10th and 11th street.
Written by Aldo Singer. Aldo lives in New York and has been scouting out all the best bars he possibly can, when he’s not doing this he loves writing and going to art galleries.