Just two decades after the fall of the Berlin Wall, this unique city’s troubled past is now a fading memory. The German capital has also been crowned the new capital of cool. As well as an attractive culture of openness and experimentation many international designers, writers, architects and artists were drawn here by cheap rents and a promise of an exciting new era. Berlin today is edgy, trendy and hedonistic and many of the city’s hotels reflect this new vibe. In fact some of the most interesting hotels in the world can be found here. Here are 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin:
Lux Eleven caters to a hip, individualist crowd. This hotel has created a modern and calming oasis in which people can escape the city hassles. Cosmopolitan and futuristic, this former stately home turned stylish boutique hotel is located in the Mitte District – one of Berlin’s hottest and trendiest neighbourhoods. The white geometric and impeccably designed rooms are more like apartments than hotel rooms and come complete with plasma TVs, wifi and kitchenettes.
- Prices from €75 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Lux 11
Hotel Casa Camper
You’ve probably heard of the trendy trainer brand Camper, well now you can stay in a Camper Hotel. Following the same ethos of their poplar footwear brand, Casa Camper is a contemporary design hotel which focuses on comfort, relaxation and ecological awareness. Thoughtfully, the hotel only uses products which are environmentally friendly and the decor is sleek and modern but with an emphasis on a ‘homely feel.’ The hotel is also often commended on their attention to detail-you can make more out of your stay with use of a Camper bike or romance kit.
- Prices from €120 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Camper
Achingly cool and edgier than most, this minimalistic design hotel has a stylish monochrome interior courtesy of the Graft Group (Brad Pitt’s favourite architects). The hotel pays attention to the smallest of details-the lobby is filled with the latest music, the clinical white corridors are lined with red shag pile carpets and the young and good-looking staff are all dressed in black. All the rooms are innovatively designed and come with a spacious modern bathroom and sloping beds built into the wall. Attracts a hip and glamorous crowd.
- Prices from €60 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Q
Arcotel John F
A popular four star luxury hotel located in the trendy Mitte District offering very reasonable room rates. Arcotel John F is vibrant and cosmopolitan – just like the city itself. The glossy and elegant decor bears the hallmark of the Viennese industrial designer Professor Harald Schreiber and all the rooms combine a modern design with attention to detail.
- Prices from €75 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Arcotel John F
Hotel Art Nouveau
Recently renovated, this small and attractive hotel pays homage to the Art Nouveau tradition. The rooms are simple but elegantly themed with hand-picked antiques, polished hardwood floors, Conran-esque details and contemporary art. Other reasons to stay include the time-warpish antique wooden birdcage lift and attentive English speaking staff.
- Prices from €73 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Art Nouveau
Ku Damm 101
This smart, competitively-priced design hotel has a striking futuristic lobby and bold industrial-design rooms. In each guest room you’ll find designer furniture, free Wi-Fi and a funky white-tiled bathroom. The hotel also has a convenient central location, a popular terrace bar and a sunny breakfast room located high above Berlin’s rooftops. A good choice for mid-range designer accommodation.
- Prices from €47 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Ku Damm 101
Motel One – Berlin Mitte
Ideal city accommodation for the budget conscious, the popular Motel One offers trendy, comfortable rooms for two star prices. All the rooms have a retro turquoise, grey and white signature colour scheme and the lobby’s stylish decor comprises of dark wood floors, leather cube stools, shag pile rugs and turquoise swivel chairs. Guests also benefit from flat-screen TVs, bathrooms with classy granite decor and free Wi-Fi in the lounge.
- Prices from €46 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Motel One
Ostel Das DDR Hostel
Ostel perfectly captures the nostalgia for the former communist East Germany days and neatly repackages it into a fun budget hostel. Mixing modern kitsch with days-gone-by, the comfortable one-star guest house offers a variety of different sized rooms all lovingly decked out in lurid 70s wallpaper, chintzy lamps and chunky transistor radios. You will also find original GDR furniture and more than a whiff of sentimentality.
- Prices from €25 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Ostel
The Really Unusual…
The MichelBerger is definitely one of a kind. This popular hotel was formed by a group of friends who wanted to create comfortable budget accommodation which feels more like you’re staying in your cool mate’s house. The end result is a high-design, uber-trendy but laid back hotel which perfectly captures the arty, edgy rebellious spirit of Berlin. Located in an old factory building, the high ceiling rooms are decked out with kitschy wallpaper, flea-market finds, flat-screen TVs built into reclaimed industrial boxes and an eye-watering collection of books.
- Prices from €59 a night
- To book, check prices or availability for Michelberger
Propeller Island City Lodge Hotel
Propeller Island Hotel is probably the nearest thing you will get to staying overnight in an art gallery. Extraordinary, surreal but never seeming to take itself too seriously, Propeller Island is often cited as being one of the world’s most unusual hotels. All the rooms have a one-off theme created by the German artist Lars Stroschen – although be warned-some rooms are more user-friendly than others! Stay here and choose from a wide range of strange places to sleep including a coffin, a green-padded cell, an elevated cage or in a box located beneath the floor of a room. Definitely not a hotel for the closed-minded…
- Average nightly price €95 a night
- To book, check prices and availability for Propeller Island City Lodge Hotel
For more choice – other popular, unique and reasonably priced hotels in Berlin
- Arte Luise Kunsthotel – A living art gallery – a very unique stay from €34pn
- The Circus Hotel – Very popular trendy budget boutique hotel from €80pn
- Art’otel Berlin City Centre West – Pop-art kitsch budget boutique from €50pn
- Cosmo Hotel Berlin Mitte - Sleek affordable design hotel from €90pn
- Hotel Abba Berlin – Funky and stylish from €61pn
- Hotel Bleibtreu Berlin – Gorgeous affordable design hotel from €51pn
- Art’otel Berlin Mitte – Contemporary art hotel from €58pn
- Metropolitan Hansa Hotel – Family friendly budget boutique from €24pn
- Amano Hotel – Chic, sleek but affordable modern hotel from €43pn
- Ellington Hotel – Attractive modern hotel in central location from €66pn
If you liked this post we a post on where to find the Cool Hotels in Amsterdam and Cool and Unusual Hotels in London.
You might also enjoy these...
Leave a Comment
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amsterdam | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in London | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration
- Tweets that mention Turismo - Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Berlin #travel -- Topsy.com
- Ten cool and unusual hotels in New York | Global Grasshopper | Travel Tips and Inspiration